CON 200: Sustainable Living Research Paper Sustainability: The abilit
CON 200: Sustainable Living Research Paper
The ability to meet the needs of the present generation without compromising
the ability of future generations to meet their needs.
From a macroeconomic perspective (more global, large-scale) evaluate a large national or international entity (business, not-for-profit, or government agency) applying:
Two of the strategies of Natural Capitalism (see below )
These strategies provide a broad context for evaluating a national or international entity on the path to sustainability. Focus on two (2) of these principles. Donu2019t apply a principle if it doesnu2019t work!
Analyze the effectiveness of the entity in light of these two principles. Cite actions that the entity has taken that have altered its environmental impact, carbon footprint or some other measure. Make recommendations that believe could make a further difference in their overall sustainability.
Strategies of Natural Capitalism
1. Radical resource productivity
2. Biomimicry ( Watch Ted.com Janine Benyus video for context)
3. Service and flow
4. Investing in natural capital
(These four principles are introduced on pp. 10-20 of Hawken and Lovins. Natural Capitalism.)
Three sustainable living outcomes
that you MUST address in your paper:
1. Articulate practical solutions to social, environmental, and economic issues. (How is your entity accomplishing this?) This has also been expressed as the 3Pu2019s: people, planet, profit and the triple bottom line: corporate social responsibility, environmental sustainability, traditional financial bottom Line) This outcome could be easily tied to the Strategies of Natural Capitalism above.
2. Employ knowledge of sustainability and technology to articulate practical solutions to real-world sustainability challenges.
(Focus on a couple of your companyu2019s challenges)
3. Analyze social, economic, technological, and environmental systems and reason holistically.
Holistic: relating to or concerned with wholes or with complete syst